Retirees, did you know that in 2018, over 22,500 abuse, neglect and exploitation complaints affecting seniors went to the Minnesota Department of Health. That is up from 4,000 in 2010. MN HHS had a 150% increase in complaints about abuse, neglect or financial exploitation between 2015 and 2018. Thousands of seniors and vulnerable adults are suffering and dying due to inadequate regulation and enforcement in our state. Here is a summary of a statement from Elder Family Advocates, whom you can follow at:
o Facebook: @eldervoicefamilyadvocates
o Twitter: @eldervoice_mn
The passage of Elder Care Reform Legislation in 2019 is a testament to the political power of seniors including MN AFL-CIO Retirees. It establishes requirements for licensing and regulating Assisted Living Facilities in Minnesota. But the work is far from done. We all need to build on this legislative success to continue improving the protections for retirees, elders and vulnerable adults.
Elder Voice Family Advocates will be working to influence and monitor the administrative rule making process that is underway to put the new legislation into effect. If you want more information about that process or have input, in addition to following Facebook and Twitter, go to their website at www.eldervoicefamilyadvocates.org. for additional contact information.
The following are a few key initiatives for this coming 2020 MN Legislative Session that will require our expertise and resources:
- Advocating with Legislators to protect the Elder Care Reform legislation of 2019 and pursue added protections and rights. 2020 is a great time to make sure that all legislative candidates understand the need to protect our loved ones from abuse, neglect and exploitation.
- Broadening awareness among the general public through funding education about the threat of neglect, abuse and exploitation.
- Helping elders, vulnerable adults and their families make informed decisions about senior care options.
- Supporting those dealing with problem facilities and navigating the regulatory protections.
- Monitoring the implementation of the new law and communicating progress or problems.
- Initiating and supporting positive legislation and fighting attempts to weaken current law or introduce harmful legislation.
The Holidays are a time to reflect on the things that are important to us. A time to think about our family members and their health and well-being. It is a perfect time to educate your family and friends on the issues facing elders. Do it!